July 9, 2008

Current Events

I'll probably get this on the poetry page at some point - but for now:

Eleventh Sweet Nothing
(The Circus)
by Chris J. Shull

Hello. I am the master of ceremonies
And I will be conducting today's catastrophe.
Are there any takers on who will go first?
You there - the boy with the heart set to burst.
Come up to the stage and I'll fix you up right.
And you there - with the curls way out of sight.
I'll tell you a secret this boy's locked away -
I'll tell you a secret and ruin his day.
For this lad's got thoughts that'll make his head rush.
Oh yes! Look at him now, oh look at him blush!
This boy thinks that you're a remarkable girl;
If it meant he could have you, he'd buy the whole world.
So what do you think, so what'll you do?
Now that it's out in the open it's all up to you.
Sweet girl, if you want him, then come up to the stage,
Or if the very thought scares you - then just run away.
But you gotta decide - so that no one will miss
If you choose to run, or if you choose to kiss.

You either know it or you don't. I just like the voice I used because it's something I haven't done before. It's this upbeat, first-person, third-party voice (kind of reminds me of Dr. Seuss actually). I actually had a lot of fun writing this one, because it pretty much just popped out.

No comments: