October 20, 2007

Blindness

I don't know if it's because I'm in a city, or it's just Pittsburgh, but I've come across more blind people here than in the rest of my life combined (though that really isn't saying much). And they're amazing. I was riding the bus one day and this woman with a seeing eye dog was there. All she needed was someone to confirm what stop she was at. She seemed otherwise unhindered. And then today I was grocery shopping and a little old lady came up to me and asked if I knew where the baby carrots were. When I attempted to point them out she informed me that she was, in fact, blind. The only clue was a cane over in her shopping cart - no characteristic sunglasses, dog, etc, and she was looking right at me. I was stunned, and after apologizing brought her over to the carrots. My guess is that they must have switched location or something, and she didn't feel like groping all the produce. But other than that...

It's just awesome.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Definitely awesome and impressive. Inspires a quick self evaluation, too.

Anonymous said...

My brother was grocery shopping
o.o
I don't know what is more amazing, you in a grocery store or people who are blind and independent.