July 11, 2008

$ummer Rant

Before I start this rant let me say that I love my friends. But sometimes they drive me crazy. Mainly it's the general consensus that the more money spent, the more fun an activity is. This is absurd (despite the supply/demand implications). Personally I have much more fun when I am just sitting around at someone's house - and it's not just because the penny-pincher in me is liking the weight of my wallet.
At college, people understand this. Fun is everyone spending very little money - but doing it together. Why is the summer different? It's like, since we have summer jobs, we should spend our paychecks. Me - I prefer to save money money at all times, and spend small amounts of money on year-round fun. Seriously, I have college expenses to think about.
Don't misunderstand. I like to go through some cash every once and a while, just for the sake of fun. But the endless flow from my wallet gets me down.
So here is a couple of terrible things to do with friends:


  1. Go to a movie - You spend money to be in the same location as your friends, but not actually do anything with them. You could all go at separate times and talk about it later, and it would be exactly the same.

  2. Go mini-golfing - You spend money to compete with your friends. The only thing that everyone enjoys is the conversation - which you can do free anywhere.

  3. Road trip - While it may be a lot of fun, I usually end up wanting to kill someone by the end of it. Plus (esp. with the cost of gas these days), you can literally calculate the amount you are spending hourly to be with your friends (not that I have).


And some great things to do with friends:

  1. Hang out - 'Nough said. And it's such a versatile activity. You can do it almost anywhere.

  2. Watch a movie - No, not at a theater. Watching at home is so much better. It's more relaxed; you can pause, eat, drink, talk during the boring parts, and hold someone close when things get tense.

  3. Go out to eat - Even though money is involved, you can make it an occasion. Everyone has to eat anyway, and people can eat and talk forever.


The best part - because I do save my money, I can never use the excuse everyone else has; "I don't have enough money."

No comments: